Sunday 24 January 2021

"The more you honour Me, the more I will bless you:" Introduction

A statue of the Holy Infant was given to my family in the 1980's by Father H.D., former parish priest of Corpus Christi Church, Maiden Lane, in London's Covent Garden. The statue had for long been on a pedestal in front of the Lady altar of the church but was being replaced by another one recently donated. The Holy Infant became for a short while the focal point of our family prayer, situated in a place of honour in our home. After the great troubles, I retained the statue which has for several years been near me in my office at home. But I paid little attention to the Holy Infant, apart from dusting and a slight retouching of the paint. All this was to change in 2020.


I had made a gift of Sanctuary Lamps to the Sons of the Holy Redeemer on the Orkney Island of Papa Stronsay, in time for Advent. Delivery of the gift, however, proved to be beset with difficulties and is a story worth telling in its own right, but not here. 


Suffice it to say that the story ended well and the devil's best efforts to hinder the delivery were thwarted. I was delighted to receive a thank-you card from the Reverend Fathers and Brothers.


The image on the front of their card is shown on the left. It is the Holy Infant. I placed it next to my statue. 



Inside the card were some printed words, including the following:



The effect of the card, and of those intriguing words, was not felt immediately; but slowly, it would seem, a thought started to form in my head about wanting to honour the Holy Infant who had been by my side for so long, but scarcely acknowledged. This thought received a massive boost when a small parcel arrived out of the blue from Papa Stronsay. It was an Epiphany package. I could hardly believe what I found inside: Holy Water, Chalk, Gold, Frankincense and Myrrh blessed on the Epiphany; and "the Love of St. John," a little bottle of wine blessed in honour of the Holy Apostle and Evangelist. These items were accompanied by beautifully illustrated leaflets. 




I remembered that their card had included a reference to gold, frankincense and myrrh, in connection with the Holy Infant. I now had my own gold, frankincense and myrrh; I could offer these to the Holy Infant...

The thought slowly started to form within me that I should make a special effort to honour the Holy Infant. In keeping with practices common to other acts of devotion, I decided to spend a period of preparation for the installation of the Holy Infant as Christ our King. A year or so ago, I adopted as my motto the following words, which I adapted from those associated with Pope John Paul II:


Totus tuus ego sum
Et omnia mea tua sunt;
Tecum semper tutus sum:
Ad Jesum per Mariam.


Ad Jesum per Mariam: to Jesus through Mary. Yet again, as she did with me through the Rosarium Aureum and the Little Office, it seems that Our Blessed Mother invariably draws us to her divine Son. I am sure, for instance, that she it was who moved me to produce a Life of Our Lord Jesus Christ. How fitting, therefore, that she should move me to honour the Holy Infant: after all, did not the Infant Himself say:

"The more you honor Me, the more I will bless you."

The date I have appointed for the installation ceremony of the Holy Infant is the Feast of the Presentation of the Infant Jesus in the Temple. Now this feast also recalls the Purification of the Blessed Virgin, Mother of Our Lord. Mother and Son are found to be on this day as inseparable as ever.

The devotions include a primary intention of asking for the Holy Infant's grace to heal family wounds and protect family members* so as to draw them all safely to the Holy Infant's heavenly court.

*EEKPTEE &EA

++++++++++++

I have noted that the chaplet of the Holy Infant has twelve beads (+3). 


These beads in our preparation will correspond to each of a series of twelve meditations on the Our Lord's infancy. 


I propose, Deo volente, to post these meditations as we approach Candlemas.



First two meditations


Here is the opening prayer:


V. Deus in adiutorium meum intende.

R. Domine, ad adiuvandum me festina.

V. O God, come unto my assistance!

R. O Lord, make haste to help me!

V. Gloria Patri et Filio et Spiritui Sancto,

R. Sicut erat in principio et nunc et semper, et in sæcula sæculorum. Amen.

V. Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit;

R. As it was in the beginning, is now, and will be forever. Amen.

Pater noster...

Our Father.....

I


The Adoration of the shepherds. J-J Tissot. Brooklyn Meseum.
Iesu Infans dulcissime, e sinu Patris propter nostram salutem descendens, de Spiritu Sancto conceptus, Virginis uterum non horrens, et Verbum caro factum, formam servi accipiens, miserere nostri.

Jesu, sweetest Child, who didst come down from the bosom of the Father for our salvation, who wast conceived by the Holy Spirit, who didst not abhor the Virgin's womb, and who, being the Word made flesh, didst take upon Thee the form of a servant, have mercy on us.

R Miserere nostri, Iesu Infans, miserere nostri. Ave Maria...

R. Have mercy on us, Child Jesus, have mercy on us. Hail Mary...


II


The Visitation . J-J Tissot. Brooklyn Museum.
Iesu Infans dulcissime, per Virginem Matrem tuam visitans Elisabeth, Ioannem Baptistam Præcursorem tuum Spiritu Sancto replens, et adhuc in utero matris suæ sanctificans, miserere nostri.

Jesu, sweetest Child, who by means of Thy Virgin Mother didst visit Saint Elizabeth, who didst fill Thy forerunner, John the Baptist, with Thy Holy Spirit and didst sanctify him in his mother's womb, have mercy on us.

R Miserere nostri, Iesu Infans, miserere nostri. Ave Maria...

R. Have mercy on us, Child Jesus, have mercy on us. Hail Mary...






Concluding prayer

V. Verbum caro factum est.

R Et habitavit in nobis.

V. The Word was made flesh.

R  And dwelt among us.

Oremus:

Omnipotens sempiterne Deus, Domine caeli et terræ, qui te revelas parvulis; concede, quæsumus, ut nos sacrosancta Filii tui Infantis Iesu mysteria digno honore recolentes, dignaque imitatione sectantes, ad regnum caelorum promissum parvulis pervenire valeamus. Per eundem Christum Dominum nostrum. Amen.

Let us pray:

Almighty and everlasting God, Lord of heaven and earth, who dost reveal Thyself to little ones; grant we beseech Thee, that we, venerating with due honour the sacred mysteries of Thy Son, the Child Jesus, and copying them with due imitation, may be enabled to enter the kingdom of heaven which Thou hast promised to little children. Through the same Christ our Lord. Amen.

Totus tuus ego sum
Et omnia mea tua sunt;
Tecum semper tutus sum:
Ad Jesum per Mariam.


No comments:

Post a Comment