Sunday 17 January 2021

Bellarmine on Psalm 142: Verses 10-11

We continue with St Robert Bellarmine's commentary on Psalm 142, the last of the Seven Penitential Psalms.

Where footnotes are included, the text follows each section.

The Latin is reproduced courtesy of the Digital Collection site  - UANL and is accompanied by my fairly literal translation. The Scripture excerpts (Douay Rheims/Vulgate) are taken from the DRBO site but the verse numbering follows that of Bellarmine’s Latin text.


Verse 10


Make the way known to me, wherein I should walk: for I have lifted up my soul to thee.

Notam fac mihi viam in qua ambulem, quia ad te levavi animam meam.


The repentant David, having received justification but fearing lest he should again fall, anxiously seeks in this
closing part of the Psalm the grace of discerning and walking along the way of justice. Now this is also the mark of a true penitent, when after reconciliation he applies himself to instituting a way of life that befits a friend and son of God. “Make known,” he says, “the way to me, wherein I should walk,” that is, illumine my mind so that I may recognize the way of justice which I ought to walk so that I may come to Thee. For indeed “I have lifted up my soul to thee,” that is, I have set my course towards Thee, I have renounced my worldly desires, I desire Thee alone; therefore I seek the light of wisdom so that I may not stray from Thee. The words I have lifted up my soul to thee may also be understood, following Chrysostom, as referring to hope, so that the sense is: I depend on Thee, in Thee I trust.


Verse 11


Deliver me from my enemies, O Lord, to thee have I fled:

Eripe me de inimicis meis, Domine; ad te confugi.

Teach me to do thy will, for thou art my God. 

Doce me facere voluntatem tuam, quia Deus meus es tu


He persists with this request, asking to be delivered from the temptations of the devil, who often tries to darken the mind so that it no longer sees the path of justice. Concupiscence is indeed aroused by the devil, so that things appear other than they truly are, and from this arise errors of judgement. “Deliver me,” he says, “from my enemies,” that is, deliver me from the temptations of the enemy, for to Thee have I fled and him have I renounced.” “Teach me to do thy will,” that is, help me with Thy light, so that having fought back temptations I may find the true way, so that I may understand what Thy good will may be, pleasing Thee and perfect. “For thou art my God,” that is, my duty and my desire is to serve Thee alone, for Thou art my God, the beginning and the end of all the good things I have, from whom I have received my nature and other good things of the soul and body, and from whom I look forward to everlasting beatitude and glory.



Totus tuus ego sum
Et omnia mea tua sunt;
Tecum semper tutus sum:
Ad Jesum per Mariam.


No comments:

Post a Comment