Wednesday 8 April 2020

The Seven Last Words of Christ on the Cross

The last post featured the Seven Sorrows of the Blessed Virgin Mary. here is a reminder of the Seven Last Words of Christ on the Cross.



Father, forgive them. J-J Tissot
Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do.



[34] Jesus autem dicebat : Pater, dimitte illis : non enim sciunt quid faciunt. Dividentes vero vestimenta ejus, miserunt sortes.
And Jesus said: Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do. But they, dividing his garments, cast lots.
[Luke 23]








...this day thou shalt be with me in paradise.
Amen I say to thee, this day thou shalt be with me in paradise.



[43] Et dixit illi Jesus : Amen dico tibi : Hodie mecum eris in paradiso.
And Jesus said to him: Amen I say to thee, this day thou shalt be with me in paradise.
[Luke 23]















Behold thy mother. J-J Tissot
Woman, behold thy son... Behold thy mother.



[26] Cum vidisset ergo Jesus matrem, et discipulum stantem, quem diligebat, dicit matri suae : Mulier, ecce filius tuus.
When Jesus therefore had seen his mother and the disciple standing whom he loved, he saith to his mother: Woman, behold thy son.
[27] Deinde dicit discipulo : Ecce mater tua. Et ex illa hora accepit eam discipulus in sua.
After that, he saith to the disciple: Behold thy mother. And from that hour, the disciple took her to his own.
[John 19]










My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? J-J Tissot
My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?



[34] Et hora nona exclamavit Jesus voce magna, dicens : Eloi, eloi, lamma sabacthani? quod est interpretatum : Deus meus, Deus meus, ut quid dereliquisti me?
And at the ninth hour, Jesus cried out with a loud voice, saying: Eloi, Eloi, lamma sabacthani? Which is, being interpreted, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? [Mark 15]












I thirst. J-J Tissot
I thirst.



[28] Postea sciens Jesus quia omnia consummata sunt, ut consummaretur Scriptura, dixit : Sitio.
Afterwards, Jesus knowing that all things were now accomplished, that the scripture might be fulfilled, said: I thirst. [John 19]














It is consummated.  J-J Tissot
 It is consummated.


[30] Cum ergo accepisset Jesus acetum, dixit : Consummatum est. ... 
Jesus therefore, when he had taken the vinegar, said: It is consummated. ...
[John 19]
















Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit. J-J Tissot
 Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit.


[46] Et clamans voce magna Jesus ait : Pater, in manus tuas commendo spiritum meum. Et haec dicens, expiravit.
And Jesus crying out with a loud voice, said: Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit. And saying this, he gave up the ghost.[Luke 23]















Totus tuus ego sum 
Et omnia mea tua sunt;
Tecum semper tutus sum:
Ad Jesum per Mariam 


No comments:

Post a Comment