Thursday 24 December 2020

Bellarmine on Psalm 37: How the Psalm may be applied to Christ

Today, we append St Robert Bellarmine's alternative reading of Psalm 37, where he notes briefly how the Psalm may be applied to Christ, most particularly in His Passion.

The Latin is reproduced courtesy of the Digital Collection site  - UANL and is accompanied by my fairly literal translation. The Scripture excerpts (Douay Rheims/Vulgate) are taken from the DRBO site but the verse numbering follows that of Bellarmine’s Latin text.

Where footnotes are included, the text follows at the end of the post.


1. Rebuke me not, O Lord, in thy indignation; nor chastise me in thy wrath.

Christ speaks of His body, which is the Church, and demands freedom for her.

2. For thy arrows are fastened in me: and thy hand hath been strong upon me.

He says with justice that he seeks freedom for the Church since He received in Himself the arrows of God’s wrath which pertain to her. 

3. There is no health in my flesh, because of thy wrath: there is no peace for my bones, because of my sins.

He describes His Passion generally, because of which there was no health in Him from the sole of His foot to the top of His head. Although He says “because of my sins”, not any which He committed but those which He took on Himself to be punished Himself. 

4. For my iniquities are gone over my head: and as a heavy burden are become heavy upon me.

He says that there is no health in Him, from the sole of His foot to the top of His head, because the sins, which He took on Himself for expiation, are so numerous and so serious that His head is overwhelmed because of their number, and they were as lead because of their weight.

5. My sores are putrified and corrupted, because of my foolishness.

6. I am become miserable, and am bowed down even to the end: I walked sorrowful all the day long.

7. For my loins are filled with illusions; and there is no health in my flesh.

He says this of His own body, lamenting the corruption of the human race, just as when someone says: I hurt in my feet, my hands and my stomach; the head is what speaks but it does not speak of the pain which it suffers in itself, but of that which it has in its members and in its body.

8. I am afflicted and humbled exceedingly: I roared with the groaning of my heart.

Here He begins to recount in order His Passion. These words relate to the prayer in the Garden.

9. Lord, all my desire is before thee, and my groaning is not hidden from thee.

10. My heart is troubled, my strength hath left me, and the light of my eyes itself is not with me.

These words relate to this very prayer, in which He prays that the chalice should pass from Him,[1] and He began to be troubled, to tremble, to feel sick and sorrowful. And so that He might experience the bitterness of His imminent passion, He did not want the virtue and light of divine consolation to flow into His lower part, and so an angel from Heaven appeared, comforting Him.

11. My friends and my neighbours have drawn near, and stood against me. 

This was fulfilled in His friend, Judas, and the Jews, His neighbours, when they arrested Him.

12. And they that were near me stood afar off

This was fulfilled in the Apostles, who fled, and in Peter, who followed at a distance.

And they that sought my soul used violence. 

This is fulfilled in the Council of the priests, carefully seeking out false witnesses, so that they might be rid of Him.

13. And they that sought my soul used violence. And they that sought evils to me spoke vain things, and studied deceits all the day long.

This relates to the same Council.

14. But I, as a deaf man, heard not: and as a dumb man not opening his mouth.

15. And I became as a man that heareth not: and that hath no reproofs in his mouth.

 These words are fulfilled to the letter in Christ, who firstly before Caiphas, then before Pilate and Herod, put up no defence but as a lamb before his shearer He was dumb, as prophesied by Isaias.[2]

16. For in thee, O Lord, have I hoped: thou wilt hear me, O Lord my God.

This relates to the same silence; so He was silent before men but He did not stay silent before God, from whom He looked for the reward, the salvation of His people.

17. For I said: Lest at any time my enemies rejoice over me: and whilst my feet are moved, they speak great things against me.

Christ maintained His perfect patience, lest impatience might cause His enemies to rejoice who, while His feet were moved, that is, while His infirmity was shown forth to the world, spoke great things about Him, saying: “ If he were not a malefactor, we would not have delivered him up to thee;”[3] and “ We have found this man perverting our nation.”[4]

18. For I am ready for scourges: and my sorrow is continually before me.

We know this was fulfilled to the letter in the scourging, buffeting and crowing with thorns.

19. For I will declare my iniquity: and I will think for my sin.

He says He will declare His sin which, as has been said, He did not commit but took upon Himself for expiation; and He will think, that is, anxiously, on blotting out the punishment for it; which He did when “ his own self bore our sins in his body upon the tree.”[5]







20. But my enemies live, and are stronger than I: and they that hate me wrongfully are multiplied.

This s fulfilled when the princes and the priests, thinking they have already obtained victory, rejoice and insult the Crucified.

21. They that render evil for good, have detracted me, because I followed goodness.

When, for example, they said to the One hanginfg on the Cross, “ Vah, thou that destroyest the temple of God;”  and “come down from the cross.”[6]

22. Forsake me not, O Lord my God: do not thou depart from me.

These words, that we have discussed, were spoken by Christ on the Cross when He said: “ My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?”[7] As though he might say: If Thou hast forsaken me for now, as regards consolation, may Thou not forsake me as regards my Resurrection.


23. Attend unto my help, O Lord, the God of my salvation.
“ Thou wilt not leave my soul in hell; nor wilt thou give thy holy one to see corruption;”[8] but “ Attend unto my help, O Lord, showing me Thy ways, and filling me with joy with Thy countenance.[9]






[1] And going a little further, he fell upon his face, praying, and saying: My Father, if it be possible, let this chalice pass from me. Nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt. Et progressus pusillum, procidit in faciem suam, orans, et dicens : Pater mi, si possibile est, transeat a me calix iste : verumtamen non sicut ego volo, sed sicut tu. [Matt. xxvi. 39]
[2] He was offered because it was his own will, and he opened not his mouth: he shall be led as a sheep to the slaughter, and shall be dumb as a lamb before his shearer, and he shall not open his mouth.  Oblatus est quia ipse voluit, et non aperuit os suum; sicut ovis ad occisionem ducetur, et quasi agnus coram tondente se obmutescet, et non aperiet os suum. [Isai. Liii. 7]
[3] They answered, and said to him: If he were not a malefactor, we would not have delivered him up to thee. Responderunt, et dixerunt ei : Si non esset hic malefactor, non tibi tradidissemus eum. [Ioan. xviii. 30]
[4] And they began to accuse him, saying: We have found this man perverting our nation, and forbidding to give tribute to Caesar, and saying that he is Christ the king. Coeperunt autem illum accusare, dicentes : Hunc invenimus subvertentem gentem nostram, et prohibentem tributa dare Caesari, et dicentem se Christum regem esse. [Luc. xxiii. 2]
[5] Who his own self bore our sins in his body upon the tree: that we, being dead to sins, should live to justice: by whose stripes you were healed. qui peccata nostra ipse pertulit in corpore suo super lignum; ut peccatis mortui, justitiae vivamus : cujus livore sanatis estis. [I Pet. ii. 24]
[6] And saying: Vah, thou that destroyest the temple of God, and in three days dost rebuild it: save thy own self: if thou be the Son of God, come down from the cross. et dicentes : Vah qui destruis templum Dei, et in triduo illud reaedificas : salva temetipsum : si Filius Dei es, descende de cruce. [Matt. xxvii. 40]
[7] And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying: Eli, Eli, lamma sabacthani? that is, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? Et circa horam nonam clamavit Jesus voce magna, dicens : Eli, Eli, lamma sabacthani? hoc est : Deus meus, Deus meus, ut quid dereliquisti me? [Matt. xxvii. 46]
[8] Because thou wilt not leave my soul in hell; nor wilt thou give thy holy one to see corruption. Quoniam non derelinques animam meam in inferno, nec dabis sanctum tuum videre corruptionem. [Ps. xv. 10]
[9] For thou shalt give him to be a blessing for ever and ever: thou shalt make him joyful in gladness with thy countenance. Quoniam dabis eum in benedictionem in saeculum saeculi; laetificabis eum in gaudio cum vultu tuo. [Ps. xx. 7]



Totus tuus ego sum
Et omnia mea tua sunt;
Tecum semper tutus sum:
Ad Jesum per Mariam. 

No comments:

Post a Comment