Saturday 3 October 2020

To my Guardian Angel: Ste Thérèse of the Child Jesus

Ste Thérèse in death. By Céline (1897)
Yesterday was the Feast of the Holy Guardian Angels and I was wondering what to post in honour of the feast of Ste Thérèse of Lisieux today. I have an illustrated edition of her complete works in French dated, I believe, to 1909 (Thérèse died on 30th September 1897).  Whilst casting my eyes over her Poésies, I noted one she had written to her Guardian Angel, dated February 1895. Without more ado, I sat down last night to translate her rhyming, iambic  tétramètres into an English equivalent, following the original French as far as possible. 


Here is the result which I post in honour of a remarkable saint who never ceases to amaze and overwhelm me by her interventions in the lives of men.

Laudetur Jesus Christus et Maria Immaculata.


Here is my translation and the French version follows.


To my Guardian Angel

J.M.J.T.(Jesus, Mary, Joseph, Teresa)

Oh Guardian of my soul, the same
Who burnest brightly in the sky
Just like a pure and gentle flame
Against the throne of God most high;
For me thou camest here below
A guide - with thine illumination;
A brother dear - I fain would know,
A friend - to be my consolation.

Thou knowest well how I am weak
And by the hand all tenderly
Thou leadest me, so quiet and meek,
From risks and traps protecting me.
Thy gentle voice doth ever call
Me Heavenwards to fix my gaze;
The humbler that I am, and small,
The brighter so thy face doth blaze.

O thou who travellest through space
More quickly than the speed of light,
I see thee flying, in my place,
To help my friends with thy best might;
To dry their tears with thy caressing,
To sing of Jesus’ healing fame,
How suffering can be a blessing,
While softly murmuring my name.

My little life has this one prayer:
That I can many sinners save;
Dear Angel show me how to share
Thy ardent holiness so brave.
I nothing have but sacrifice,
Austerity and poverty;
Thy gifts conjoin’d, these may suffice
For offering to the Trinity.

To thee, the glorious, royal Heaven,
The riches of the King of Kings;
To me, Communion’s bread unleaven’d,
The treasure that the Cross doth bring.
Armed with the Cross and sacred Host,
Together with thy help supernal,
One peaceful thought is uppermost:
To live a life of joys eternal!

January 1897.


Here is the French:

À mon Ange Gardien


1. 

Glorieux Gardien de mon âme,
Toi qui brilles dans le beau Ciel
Comme une douce et pure flamme
Près du trône de l'Eternel
Tu descends pour moi sur la terre
Et m'éclairant de ta splendeur
Bel Ange, tu deviens mon Frère,
Mon Ami, mon Consolateur !...

2. 

Connaissant ma grande faiblesse
Tu me diriges par la main
Et je te vois avec tendresse
Oter la pierre du chemin
Toujours ta douce voix m'invite
A ne regarder que les Cieux
Plus tu me vois humble et petite
Et plus ton front est radieux.

3. 

O toi ! qui traverses l'espace
Plus promptement que les éclairs
Je t'en supplie, vole à ma place
Auprès de ceux qui me sont chers
De ton aile sèche leurs larmes
Chante combien Jésus est bon.
Chante que souffrir a des charmes
Et tout bas, murmure mon nom....

4.

Je veux pendant ma courte vie
Sauver mes frères les pécheurs
O Bel Ange de la Patrie
Donne-moi tes saintes ardeurs
Je n'ai rien que mes sacrifices
Et mon austère pauvreté
Avec tes célestes délices
Offre-les à la Trinité.

5. 

A toi le Royaume et la Gloire,
Les Richesses du Roi des rois.
A moi l'humble Hostie du ciboire,
A moi le trésor de la Croix.
Avec la Croix, avec l'Hostie
Avec ton céleste secours
J'attends en paix de l'autre vie
Les joies qui dureront toujours.

Totus tuus ego sum
Et omnia mea tua sunt;
Tecum semper tutus sum:
Ad Jesum per Mariam.

No comments:

Post a Comment