Wednesday 14 October 2020

Aquinas on the Lord's Prayer: Five Qualities of Prayer (Pt 3/3)

Lord, teach us how to pray... J-J Tissot.
We continue October's posts with the writings of St Thomas Aquinas on the prayers used in the Rosary. From the Angelic Salutation, we have shifted our focus to what he wrote on the Lord's Prayer. 

I have included my own (fairly literal) English translation, together with a number of Scriptural references and notes.








Prayer ought to be humble:“He hath had regard to the prayer of the humble:” [Ps. ci. 18];[1] see also the parable of the Pharisee and the Publican[2] and the words in Judith:[3] “the prayer of the humble and the meek hath always pleased thee.” The same humility is observed in this prayer. For true humility is when someone presumes nothing from his own powers but expects to obtain everything through divine power.[4]

Debet etiam oratio esse humilis, secundum illud Psal. ci, 18: respexit in orationem humilium; et Luc. XVIII, et Pharisaeo et publicano; et Iudith IX, 16: humilium et mansuetorum semper tibi placuit deprecatio. Quae quidem humilitas in hac oratione servatur: nam vera humilitas est quando aliquis nihil ex suis viribus praesumit, sed totum ex divina virtute impetrandum expectat.


Note, moreover, that prayer brings about three good effects

Firstly, prayer is an efficacious and useful remedy against evils. For it frees us from sins committed. “Thou hast forgiven the wickedness of my sin. For this shall every one that is holy pray to thee in a seasonable time.”[Ps. xxxi. 5-6][5] Thus the thief on the Cross prayed and received forgiveness. “And Jesus said to him: Amen I say to thee, this day thou shalt be with me in paradise”[Luc.xxiii. 43].[6] Thus the Publican prayed and went down into his house justified [Luc. Xviii. 14][7] Prayer also frees from the fear of future sins, from tribulations and sorrows: “Is any of you sad? Let him pray.” [Iac. v. 13][8]  It delivers from persecutions and enemies: “Instead of making me a return of love, they detracted me: but I gave myself to prayer.”  [Ps. Cviii. 4][9]

Nota insuper, quod tria bona facit oratio. Primo enim est efficax et utile remedium contra mala. Liberat enim a peccatis commissis. Psal. XXXI, 5-6: tu remisisti impietatem peccati mei: pro hac orabit ad te omnis sanctus. Sic latro in cruce oravit, et remissionem obtinuit: quia, hodie mecum eris in Paradiso, Luc. XXIII, 43. Sic publicanus oravit, et iustificatus descendit in domum suam, Luc. XIII. Liberat etiam a timore peccatorum supervenientium, a tribulationibus et tristitiis. Iac. ult., 13: tristatur quis in vobis? Oret (aequo animo). Liberat etiam a persecutionibus et inimicis. Psal. CVIII, 4: pro eo ut me diligerent, detrahebant mihi: ego autem orabam.


Secondly, prayer is efficacious and useful for obtaining all one desires:  “All things, whatsoever you ask when ye pray, believe that you shall receive;”[Marc. xi. 24][10] If our prayer is not heard and granted, this is because we have not asked with enough persistence,: “We ought always to pray, and not to faint” [Luc. xviii. 1][11]; or because we have not sought that which leads us more surely to salvation: “The good Lord, who often does not grant what we wish so that He may grant us what we would (truly) prefer.”[12] This is found in St Paul who prayed three times for the sting afflicting his flesh[13] to be taken away from him, and his prayer was  not granted.

Thirdly, it is useful because it makes us become members of God’s family: “ Let my prayer be directed as incense in thy sight;”[Ps. cxl. 2][14]

Secundo est efficax, et utilis ad omnia desideria obtinenda. Marc. XI, 24: omnia quaecumque orantes petitis credite quia accipietis. Et si non exaudimur, hoc est quia non instanter petimus: oportet (enim) semper orare, et non deficere, Luc. XVIII, 1, vel quia non petimus id quod magis expedit ad salutem: Augustinus: bonus dominus, qui saepe non tribuit quod volumus, ut tribuat quod mallemus. Et hoc reperitur de Paulo, qui ter petiit a se removeri stimulum, et non est exauditus: II Cor. XII. 

Tertio est utilis, quia facit nos familiares Deo. Psal. CXL, 2: dirigatur oratio mea sicut incensum in conspectu tuo.


References


[1] He hath had regard to the prayer of the humble: and he hath not despised their petition. Respexit in orationem humilium et non sprevit precem eorum.

[2]  Luc. xviii.

[3]  For thy power, O Lord, is not in a multitude, nor is thy pleasure in the strength of horses, nor from the beginning have the proud been acceptable to thee: but the prayer of the humble and the meek hath always pleased thee. Non enim in multitudine est virtus tua, Domine, neque in equorum viribus voluntas tua est, nec superbi ab initio placuerunt tibi : sed humilium et mansuetorum semper tibi placuit deprecatio.[Iud. ix. 16]

[4]  He hath had regard to the prayer of the humble: and he hath not despised their petition. Respexit in orationem humilium et non sprevit precem eorum.

[5]  I have acknowledged my sin to thee, and my injustice I have not concealed. I said I will confess against myself my injustice to the Lord: and thou hast forgiven the wickedness of my sin. Delictum meum cognitum tibi feci, et injustitiam meam non abscondi. Dixi : Confitebor adversum me injustitiam meam Domino; et tu remisisti impietatem peccati mei.  [6] For this shall every one that is holy pray to thee in a seasonable time. And yet in a flood of many waters, they shall not come nigh unto him. Pro hac orabit ad te omnis sanctus in tempore opportuno. Verumtamen in diluvio aquarum multarum, ad eum non approximabunt.

[6]  And Jesus said to him: Amen I say to thee, this day thou shalt be with me in paradise. Et dixit illi Jesus : Amen dico tibi : Hodie mecum eris in paradiso.

[7]  I say to you, this man went down into his house justified rather than the other: because every one that exalteth himself, shall be humbled: and he that humbleth himself, shall be exalted. Dico vobis, descendit hic justificatus in domum suam ab illo : quia omnis qui se exaltat, humiliabitur, et qui se humiliat, exaltabitur.

[8]  Is any of you sad? Let him pray. Is he cheerful in mind? Let him sing. Tristatur aliquis vestrum? oret. Aequo animo est? psallat.

[9]  Instead of making me a return of love, they detracted me: but I gave myself to prayer. Pro eo ut me diligerent, detrahebant mihi; ego autem orabam.

[10]  Therefore I say unto you, all things, whatsoever you ask when ye pray, believe that you shall receive; and they shall come unto you. Propterea dico vobis, omnia quaecumque orantes petitis, credite quia accipietis, et evenient vobis.

[11]  And he spoke also a parable to them, that we ought always to pray, and not to faint, Dicebat autem et parabolam ad illos, quoniam oportet semper orare et non deficere,

[12]  Epistola 31, A. pro secundis litteris gratias agit.

[13]  And lest the greatness of the revelations should exalt me, there was given me a sting of my flesh, an angel of Satan, to buffet me. Et ne magnitudo revelationum extollat me, datus est mihi stimulus carnis meae angelus Satanae, qui me colaphizet. [II Cor. xii. 7]

[14]  Let my prayer be directed as incense in thy sight; the lifting up of my hands, as evening sacrifice. Dirigatur oratio mea sicut incensum in conspectu tuo; elevatio manuum mearum sacrificium vespertinum.


Totus tuus ego sum
Et omnia mea tua sunt;
Tecum semper tutus sum:
Ad Jesum per Mariam.

No comments:

Post a Comment