Wednesday 25 March 2020

An act of perfect contrition

In the absence of access to our churches and the sacraments, here is a prayer of immense importance for the faithful in this time of trial. The prayer is reproduced in Latin with a translation and notes.


Cuius pedes lacrymis / Peccatrix irrigavit. J-J Tissot

Deus meus, ex toto corde poenitet me omnium meorum peccatorum, eaque detestor, quia peccando, non solum poenas a Te iuste statutas promeritus sum, sed præsertim quia offendi Te, summum bonum, ac dignum qui super omnia diligaris. Ideo firmiter propono, adiuvante gratia Tua, de cetero me non peccaturum peccandique occasiones proximas fugiturum. Amen.

Oh my God, from all my heart I am sorry for all my sins, and I detest them, not only because in sinning, I deserve the penalties that you have justly established, but especially because I have offended Thee, who art the greatest good, and worthy beyond all my love. Therefore I firmly purpose, with the help of Thy grace, from henceforth to sin no more and flee the next occasions of sinning. Amen.

My God, I am from the depths of my heart pained with sorrow for all my sins and I detest them; because in sinning, not only have I deserved the punishments justly instituted by Thee, but especially because I have offended Thee, the highest good and Who art worthy to be loved above all things. I firmly propose, with the help of Thy grace, henceforth to sin no more and to flee the next occasions of sinning.


Father, I have sinned against heaven, and before thee. J-J Tissot

Notes

diligaris: second-person singular present passive subjunctive of dīligō, lēxī, lēctus, 3, a.: to love
peccaturum masc accus sing fut participle from peccō, āvī, ātus, 1, n.: to commit a fault, sin, transgress, offend
poenas: accus fem plural from poena , ae, f.: penalty, punishment
pœnitet (me omnium meorum peccatorum): from paenĭtĕo (less correctly poen-), ui, no sup., ēre, 2, v. a. and impers. Impers.AIt repents one, etc., i. e. I, you, etc., repent; I, etc., repent, am sorry, grieve, rue, etc. With accusative of person, genitive of thing or infinitive, to regret. Mē paenitet alicuius reī.
praesertim, adv.from prae-sero; cf. praecipue, from praecipio, qs. connected beforehand, serves to add an important argument or condition (hence most freq. joined with cum and si), especially, chiefly, principally, particularly
promeritus sum: first person sing, perfect, indicative,  from 2nd conjug deponent prōmereor, meritus sum, 2, dep. a. and n.: to merit for one's self by favors given; deserve, merit, put under obligation
statutas: accus fem plural of perfect participle, from statuō, statuī, statūtus, 3, a.: to station, place, set; to place at or on the altar; found, build; set up; restore, stay; of the mind, resolve, determine, decide.
summum: accus sing neut, from summus, superlative of superus , a, um: adj. (super), above, upper, supreme


Totus tuus ego sum 
Et omnia mea tua sunt;
Tecum semper tutus sum:
Ad Jesum per Mariam

No comments:

Post a Comment