Friday 8 April 2022

The Commemoration of Our Lady of Sorrows

Behold thy Mother. J-J Tissot
Brooklyn Museum.
Today is the Commemoration of Our Lady of Sorrows. The Tract for today's Mass includes the following:

Stabat Sancta Maria cœli Regina, et mundi Domina, juxta crucem Domini nostri Jesu Christi dolorosa. 
O vos omnes qui transitis per viam, attendite, et videte si est dolor sicut dolor meus! quoniam vindemiavit me, ut locutus est Dominus, in die irae furoris sui.
Holy Mary, the Queen of Heaven and Mistress of the world, stood by the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, full of sorrows.O all ye that pass by the way, attend, and see if there be any sorrow like to my sorrow: for he hath made a vintage of me, as the Lord spoke in the day of his fierce anger. [Thren. i 12]

The Sequence for today's Mass is the Stabat Mater dolorosa and I am posting a short booklet I have prepared on this beautiful hymn. This little booklet is offered as a gift to our Blessed Mother on the occasion of the Commemoration of Our Lady of Sorrows (Friday of Passion Week).



 
I offer up the prayers of this beautiful Latin hymn to Our Lord and Saviour through the Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary, trusting her maternal love will intercede with her Son on behalf of the author and all the members of his family.


Fac me tecum pie flere,
crucifixo condolere,
donec ego vixero.

Let me mingle tears with thee,
mourning Him who mourned for me,
all the days that I may live.


To open the booklet, please click here: 👉 Stabat Mater

To hear an extraordinary choral rendition of the first ten stanzas, incorporating a traditional Polish melody, please click here:


To hear the surging power and heart-rending tenderness of Antonín Dvořák's composition, please click here:




Totus tuus ego sum 
Et omnia mea tua sunt;
Tecum semper tutus sum:
Ad Jesum per Mariam

No comments:

Post a Comment