Friday 4 October 2019

St Francs of Assisi

Funeral of St Francis
1181-1226: Saint Francis of Assisi (Italian: San Francesco d'Assisi, Latin: Sanctus Franciscus Assisiensis), born Giovanni di Pietro di Bernardone, informally named as Francesco.

1212: Through St Clare, he founded the women's Order of Saint Clare

1219: he went to Egypt in an attempt to convert the Sultan to put an end to the conflict of the Crusades. He returned to Italy to organize his Order. Once his community was authorized by the Pope, he withdrew from external affairs.

1223: Francis arranged for the first Christmas live nativity scene.

1224: He received the stigmata during a religious ecstasy,
3 October 1226: He died while listening to a reading he had requested of Psalm 141.

1228: Pope Gregory IX canonized Francis.

One of seven panels that come from the back of a large two-sided polyptych. It was made for the high altar of San Francesco, Borgo Sansepolcro. 1437-44.

Psalm 141: Voce mea. A prayer of David in extremity of danger


[1] Intellectus David, cum esset in spelunca, oratio.
Of understanding for David. A prayer when he was in the cave. [1 Kings 24]

[2] Voce mea ad Dominum clamavi, voce mea ad Dominum deprecatus sum.
I cried to the Lord with my voice: with my voice I made supplication to the Lord.

[3] Effundo in conspectu ejus orationem meam; et tribulationem meam ante ipsum pronuntio.
In his sight I pour out my prayer, and before him I declare my trouble:

[4] In deficiendo ex me spiritum meum, et tu cognovisti semitas meas; in via hac qua ambulabam absconderunt laqueum mihi.
When my spirit failed me, then thou knewest my paths. In this way wherein I walked, they have hidden a snare for me.

[5] Considerabam ad dexteram, et videbam, et non erat qui cognosceret me : periit fuga a me, et non est qui requirat animam meam.
I looked on my right hand, and beheld, and there was no one that would know me. Flight hath failed me: and there is no one that hath regard to my soul.

[6] Clamavi ad te, Domine; dixi : Tu es spes mea, portio mea in terra viventium.
I cried to thee, O Lord: I said: Thou art my hope, my portion in the land of the living.

[7] Intende ad deprecationem meam, quia humiliatus sum nimis. Libera me a persequentibus me, quia confortati sunt super me.
Attend to my supplication: for I am brought very low. Deliver me from my persecutors; for they are stronger than I.

[8] Educ de custodia animam meam ad confitendum nomini tuo; me exspectant justi donec retribuas mihi.
Bring my soul out of prison, that I may praise thy name: the just wait for me, until thou reward me.



Totus tuus ego sum 
Et omnia mea tua sunt;
Tecum tutus semper sum:
Ad Jesum per Mariam

No comments:

Post a Comment