Tuesday 11 June 2019

The Icon of Our Lady of Perpetual Help: Indicating the Way

Our Lady's icon. File made by Pablete [Public domain]
The Feast of Our Lady of Perpetual Help falls on the 27th of June. We are preparing for this great Feast by publishing a series posts about the famous icon that bears this inspirational and consoling title.

Sacred icons were painted by monks who had a thorough knowledge of theology and led ascetic lives. Before painting an icon, they would prepare themselves spiritually through fasting, prayer, penitence and meditation. Many would paint their icons while they were kneeling. A holy icon is not merely an image but a place where God Himself is present. This explains the reverence shown to icons in the Eastern Church even to this day.


Totus tuus ego sum et omnia mea tua sunt.
Tecum tutus semper sum.
Ad Jesum per Mariam


[  ] References in the text to numbered footnotes are not hyperlinked but may be found at the end of the relevant text.


The 'Indicator of the Way'


Measuring 17 x 21 inches (43.2cm x 53.3cm), the icon is painted on poplar wood with a gold leaf background. The Blessed Virgin Mary is depicted wearing a dress of dark red with a blue mantle. She is supporting the infant Jesus with her left arm and his hands are intertwined with her right hand. On the left  side is Saint Michael the Archangel carrying the lance and sponge of the crucifixion of Jesus. On the right is Saint Gabriel the Archangel carrying a cross and nails.

This style of icon is known as a 'hodegetria'. This word is based on the Greek ὁδηγητρία which means 'Indicator of the Way'. In these icons, Mary is the 'Indicator of the Way'.

Our Lord spoke of 'the way' in words that may at first seem daunting:  
How narrow is the gate, and strait is the way that leadeth to life: and few there are that find it![1]  
How fitting that Mary our Mother should offer us help and encouragement by pointing out to us the 'Way' in the very person of Jesus Christ, her son, who said:
I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No man cometh to the Father, but by me. [2]
The presence in the of the instruments of Christ's Passion, borne by St Michael and St Gabriel, reminds us of Christ's invitation to follow Him in His Way of the Cross.
Then Jesus said to his disciples: If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.[3]
There are numerous references to 'the way' throughout Scripture. I have included a small selection below.[4]


Notes


[1] [14] How narrow is the gate, and strait is the way that leadeth to life: and few there are that find it!
Quam angusta porta, et arcta via est, quae ducit ad vitam : et pauci sunt qui inveniunt eam!
14 ⸀ὅτι στενὴ ἡ πύλη καὶ τεθλιμμένη ἡ ὁδὸς ἡ ἀπάγουσα εἰς τὴν ζωήν, καὶ ὀλίγοι εἰσὶν οἱ εὑρίσκοντες αὐτήν.[Matt 7]

[2] [6] Jesus saith to him: I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No man cometh to the Father, but by me.
Dicit ei Jesus : Ego sum via, et veritas, et vita. Nemo venit ad Patrem, nisi per me.
6 λέγει αὐτῷ ⸀ὁ Ἰησοῦς· Ἐγώ εἰμι ἡ ὁδὸς καὶ ἡ ἀλήθεια καὶ ἡ ζωή· οὐδεὶς ἔρχεται πρὸς τὸν πατέρα εἰ μὴ δι’ ἐμοῦ. [John 14]

[3]  [24] Then Jesus said to his disciples: If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me.
Tunc Jesus dixit discipulis suis : Si quis vult post me venire, abneget semetipsum, et tollat crucem suam, et sequatur me. [Matt 16]

[4] Some references to the 'way' in Scripture:
"My foot hath followed his steps, I have kept his way, and have not declined from it." [Job 23:11]
"Blessed is the man who hath not walked in the counsel of the ungodly, nor stood in the way of sinners, nor sat in the chair of pestilence."
[Psalms 1:1]
"Set me, O Lord, a law in thy way, and guide me in the right path, because of my enemies."
[Psalms 26:11]
"Conduct me, O Lord, in thy way, and I will walk in thy truth: let my heart rejoice that it may fear thy name."
[Psalms 85:11]
"I have restrained my feet from every evil way: that I may keep thy words."
[Psalms 118:101]
"I will shew thee the way of wisdom, I will lead thee by the paths of equity:"
[Proverbs 4:11]
"The voice of one crying in the desert: Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make straight in the wilderness the paths of our God."
[Isaias (Isaiah) 40:3]
"They shall come with weeping: and I will bring them back in mercy: and I will bring them through the torrents of waters in a right way, and they shall not stumble in it: for I am a father to Israel, and Ephraim is my firstborn."
[Jeremias (Jeremiah) 31:9]






No comments:

Post a Comment