Wednesday 10 April 2019

Jesus is presented to the High-Priests and is condemned to death

Consummatum est. JJ Tissot. Brooklyn Museum.
Our Lenten meditations continue with posts taken from a Simple Exposition of the Circumstances of the Passion of Jesus Christ (1761) by Saint Alphonsus de Liguori.

I have inserted references in the text to numbered footnotes. These references are not hyperlinked but may be found by scrolling to the end of the relevant paragraph.


Totus tuus ego sum et omnia mea tua sunt. Tecum tutus semper sum.
Ad Jesum per Mariam.


This grace I ask of thee to-day: obtain for me a continual remembrance of the passion of Jesus, and of thine also, and a tender devotion to them.




Jesus is presented to the High-Priests and is condemned to death


Jesus is led captive... JJ Tissot. Brooklyn Museum.
But they holding Jesus, led him to Caiphas the high-priest, where the scribes and the ancients were assembled.[1] Bound as a malefactor, our Saviour enters Jerusalem, where he was received a few days before with so much honour and applause.
He passes, during the night, through the streets, amid torches and lanterns;



and such were the noise and tumult that all the citizens were given to understand that some notorious malefactor was conducted in chains by the officers of justice. The people run to the windows, and ask, Who is the prisoner? They are told that he is Jesus of Nazareth, who has been proved to be a seducer, an impostor, and worthy of death
[1] [57] But they holding Jesus led him to Caiphas the high priest, where the scribes and the ancients were assembled.
At illi tenentes Jesum, duxerunt ad Caipham principem sacerdotum, ubi scribae et seniores convenerant. [Matt 26]

But what must have been the sentiments of contempt and indignation which all felt when they saw Jesus Christ, who was hailed before as the Messiah, now imprisoned as an impostor, by order of the judges? Oh! how each person changed his veneration into hatred, and through shame of having saluted a malefactor as the Messiah, repented of having treated him with honor. Behold the Redeemer presented, as if in triumph, before Caiphas, who waited for his arrival, and who was filled with joy when he saw him alone and abandoned by his disciples. Behold, O my soul, thy sweet Lord, bound as a criminal, standing with downcast countenance, all meekness and humility, before the haughty pontiff. Behold that beautiful countenance, which, in the midst of so much contempt and so many injuries, has not lost its natural serenity and sweetness
Ah, my Jesus, what shall I do, now that I see Thee surrounded, not by angels praising Thee, but by a vile rabble that hates and despises Thee? Will I continue to despise Thee as I have hitherto done? Ah, no; during the remainder of my life I wish to esteem and love Thee as Thou dost deserve, and I promise to love nothing but Thee. Thou shalt be my only love, my good, my all: My God and my all.[2]
[2] Perhaps a reference to the oft repeated prayer of St Francis, familiar to some in the 19th century hymn:
Jesus, my Lord, my God, my all,
hear me, blest Savior, when I call;
hear me, and from thy dwelling place
pour down the riches of thy grace.
Written by Henry Collins,  M.A., educated at Oxford. He was ordained to the Ministry of the Church of England, but in Nov., 1857, he entered the Roman communion, becoming a member of the Cistercian Order in 1860.
The impious high-priest interrogates Jesus regarding his disciples and doctrine, in order to find some grounds of condemnation against him. Jesus humbly answers: I have spoken to the world. . . . Behold, they know what things I have said.[3] I have not spoken in secret, I have spoken in public; they who are present can bear witness to what I have said. He appeals to the testimony of his very enemies. But after an answer so just and meek, an insolent servant rushes forward through the crowd, and, as if to chastise him for his insolence to Caiphas, gives him a severe blow on the cheek, saying: Is it thus thou answerest the high-priest?[4] And when he had said these things, one of the servants standing by gave Jesus a blow, saying, Answerest thou the high-priest so?
[3] [20] Jesus answered him: I have spoken openly to the world: I have always taught in the synagogue, and in the temple, whither all the Jews resort; and in secret I have spoken nothing.
Respondit ei Jesus : Ego palam locutus sum mundo : ego semper docui in synagoga, et in templo, quo omnes Judaei conveniunt, et in occulto locutus sum nihil. [John 18]


[4] [22] And when he had said these things, one of the servants standing by, gave Jesus a blow, saying: Answerest thou the high priest so?
Haec autem cum dixisset, unus assistens ministrorum dedit alapam Jesu, dicens : Sic respondes pontifici?  [John 18] 

O God, how could an answer so humble and modest merit so gross an insult? The unworthy pontiff sees it, and instead of rebuking the guilty servant, remains silent, and by his silence approves of his conduct. On receiving the blow, Jesus, in order to show that he was not wanting in respect to the high-priest, said: If I have spoken evil, give testimony of the evil: but if well, why strikest thou Me?[5] Ah, my amiable Redeemer, Thou dost submit to all these affronts in order to atone for the insults that I have offered to the divine majesty by my sins. Ah, pardon me through the merit of the insults Thou hast suffered for my sake.
[5] [23] Jesus answered him: If I have spoken evil, give testimony of the evil; but if well, why strikest thou me?
Respondit ei Jesus : Si male locutus sum, testimonium perhibe de malo : si autem bene, quid me caedis?  [John 18]

They sought false witnesses against Jesus, that they might put him to death, and they found not.[6] They seek for false witnesses in order to condemn the Saviour, but find none; hence the high-priest endeavors again to discover in the words of Jesus grounds for declaring him guilty, and therefore says: I adjure thee by the living God, that Thou tell us if Thou be the Christ the Son of God.[7] When asked in the name of God, he confessed the truth, saying, I am. And you shall see the Son of Man sitting on the right hand of the power of God, and coming with the clouds of heaven.[8] I am; and you shall one day see me, not in the lowliness in which I now appear, but seated as on a throne of majesty, on the clouds of heaven, with power to judge all men.
[6] [59] And the chief priests and the whole council sought false witness against Jesus, that they might put him to death:
Principes autem sacerdotum, et omne concilium, quaerebant falsum testimonium contra Jesum, ut eum morti traderent : [Matt 26]


[7] [63] But Jesus held his peace. And the high priest said to him: I adjure thee by the living God, that thou tell us if thou be the Christ the Son of God.
Jesus autem tacebat. Et princeps sacerdotum ait illi : Adjuro te per Deum vivum, ut dicas nobis si tu es Christus Filius Dei.  [Matt 26]


[8] [62] And Jesus said to him: I am. And you shall see the Son of man sitting on the right hand of the power of God, and coming with the clouds of heaven.
Jesus autem dixit illi : Ego sum : et videbitis Filium hominis sedentem a dextris virtutis Dei, et venientem cum nubibus caeli. [Mark 14]

At these words the high-priest, instead of falling prostrate on his face to adore his God and his judge, rends his garments and exclaims. What further testimony do we require? Have you heard the blasphemy which he has spoken? Then the high-priest rent his garment, saying. He hath blasphemed, what further need have we of witnesses? Behold now you have heard the blasphemy. What think you?[9] All the other priests immediately answered that he certainly deserved death: But they answering said, He is guilty of death. [10] Ah, my Jesus, Thy eternal Father pronounced the same sentence when Thou didst offer Thyself to atone for our sins. He then said: My Son, since Thou dost wish to make satisfaction for men, Thou art guilty of death, and shalt die.
[9] [65] Then the high priests rent his garments, saying: He hath blasphemed; what further need have we of witnesses? Behold, now you have heard the blasphemy:
Tunc princeps sacerdotum scidit vestimenta sua, dicens : Blasphemavit : quid adhuc egemus testibus? ecce nunc audistis blasphemiam : [Matt 26]


[10] [66] What think you? But they answering, said: He is guilty of death.
quid vobis videtur? At illi respondentes dixerunt : Reus est mortis.  [Matt 26]

Prophesy unto us... JJ Tissot. Brooklyn Museum.
Then did they spit in his face and buffet him, and others struck his face with the palms of their hands, saying, Prophesy unto us, O Christ, who is he that struck Thee.[11] Then they all begin to maltreat him, as a criminal already condemned to death, and deserving of all kinds of reproaches. Some spit in his face, others buffet him, and others strike him with their hands, and blindfolding him, they, says St. Mark, began to spit on him, and cover his face.[12] They mock him as a false prophet, saying, Since Thou art a prophet, guess who it is that has struck Thee.

St. Jerome has written that the ignominies and cruelties which our Lord suffered on that night were so manifold that they shall not be all known till the day of judgment.

[11] [67] Then did they spit in his face, and buffeted him: and others struck his face with the palms of their hands,
Tunc exspuerunt in faciem ejus, et colaphis eum ceciderunt, alii autem palmas in faciem ejus dederunt,    [Matt 26]


[12] [65] And some began to spit on him, and to cover his face, and to buffet him, and to say unto him: Prophesy: and the servants struck him with the palms of their hands.
Et coeperunt quidam conspuere eum, et velare faciem ejus, et colaphis eum caedere, et dicere ei : Prophetiza : et ministri alapis eum caedebant. [Mark 14]

Then, my Jesus, on that night Thou didst not repose; no, Thou wast the object of the derision and cruelty of that ferocious rabble. O men, how can you behold a God so humbled, and continue to indulge in pride? How can you behold your Redeemer suffering such torments for your sake, and not love him? O God! how can they who believe, and reflect on the pains and ignominies which, according to the narration of the Evangelists, Jesus has suffered for our sake, live without burning with love for a God so benignant and so enamoured of us?
Peter's third denial. JJ Tissot. Brooklyn Museum.
The fall of Peter, who denied him, and even swore that he never knew him, added to the sufferings of Jesus.
Go, my soul, go to that prison where my Lord is sorrowful, mocked, and abandoned; thank him, and console him by thy repentance, for thou also hast despised and derided him. Tell him that thou wouldst wish to die of sorrow, at the thought of having hitherto caused so much bitterness to the sweet heart of a God who has loved thee so tenderly. Tell him that now thou dost love him, and dost desire nothing else than to suffer and die for the love of him.




Ah, my Jesus, forget all the displeasure that I have given Thee, and look on me with that love with which Thou didst look on Peter after he denied Thee: after the look which Thou didst then cast upon him, he did not cease to bewail his sin until he ceased to live. O great Son of God, O infinite love, who dost suffer for the very men who hate and maltreat Thee. Thou art the glory of paradise; Thou wouldst have done great honor to men by merely permitting them to kiss Thy feet. But, O God! what has reduced Thee to such a degree of ignominy as to become sport of the vilest rabble? Tell me, O my Jesus, what I can do in order to compensate the honor which Thy enemies take from Thee by their insults and reproaches. I hear Thee answer: Bear insults for my sake, as I have borne them for the love of thee. Yes, my Redeemer, I wish to obey Thee. My Jesus, despised for the love of me, I am willing, and desire to be despised tor Thee as much as Thou pleasest.





No comments:

Post a Comment