Tuesday 7 May 2024

The Triple Crown of the Mother of God : Dedication

Dedication by the author to the Mother of God

Continuing our translation of the 1845 reprint of Fr Poiré's Triple Crown of the Mother of God (1643 edition).


Notre Dame des Grâces, Cotignac.(Poggi, 2020)
PRINCESS of earth and Heaven, please pardon my temerity in being so bold as to fashion a Crown for you by incorporating your very own Excellent qualities. Alas, who am I that I presume to handle those items so rare as the Royal Splendours that are yours? Moreover, what have I actually done other than try to draw down stars from the heavens and mount them in an earthly setting? 

I have failed, I confess, but I pray you will not take offence. Any presumption was unintentional and my motive was one of love. I was moved more by respect than temerity.

You will perhaps say that I presumed too much when it comes to my abilities. I could not have gainsaid this reproach were the project my own idea. But how could I possibly ignore my duty to respond to so many pressing requests from so many honourable persons? Do you not recall how many of your beloved children, those most honourable brothers in the great Congregation established in the noble town of Avignon, one of the celebrated Institutions in France, have argued that the speeches I completed for their benefit were no longer my own but theirs and that they would be responsible for any issues arising for me through committing them onto paper? Did they not adopt a position of friendly self-restraint? Did they not advise me that should I prove recalcitrant, they did not want for means to enforce their reasonable request?

But why should I, wanting in wisdom as I am, take pains to justify myself in your eyes? No, I confess my guilt, if only to have something new to offer you in satisfaction for my faults: my heart, my soul, my life and everything that is already yours through a million titles; and to be able to say that in despite of [1] death and hell I shall belong to Mary throughout time and all eternity.

[1] in defiance or contempt of. See despite in Etym Dictionary Online.


👑       👑       👑


The Vladimirskaya Icon. >12th century.
S
UB
 tuum præsidium confugimus, Sancta Dei Genitrix. Nostras deprecationes ne despicias in necessitatibus, sed a periculis cunctis libera nos semper, Virgo gloriosa et benedicta. Amen.

 

 


Totus tuus ego sum
Et omnia mea tua sunt;
Tecum semper tutus sum:
Ad Jesum per Mariam. 


© Peter Bloor 2024

No comments:

Post a Comment