Saturday 12 September 2020

Bossuet 15 : Contradictions against Jesus Christ on the mystery of grace

"And thy own soul a sword shall pierce" are words spoken by Simeon to Our Blessed Mother when she presented her first-born in the Temple, in accordance with the Law of Moses.

It is traditional to reflect on the Sorrows of Mary in the month of September. To this end, in the following posts I offer the words of the French scholar and preacher Bossuet, taken from his Elevation* on the Presentation of the Child Jesus in the Temple. I have added my own (fairly literal) translation and occasional notes on Scriptural references.

*élévation: THÉOLOGIE. Mouvement de l’âme vers Dieu ; prière qui favorise et traduit ce mouvement. Elevation: theology.  A movement of the soul towards God; a prayer that favours and translates this movement.


Laudetur Jesus Christus et Maria Immaculata.


The Presentation in the Temple. J-J Tissot.

XVe ÉLÉVATION.

Contradictions contre Jésus-Christ sur te mystère de la grâce.

The Fifteenth Elevation

Contradictions against Jesus Christ on the mystery of grace


Voici encore un écueil terrible pour l'orgueil humain. L'homme dit en son cœur : J'ai mon franc arbitre : Dieu m'a fait libre, etje me veux faire juste : je veux que le coup qui décide de mon salut éternellement vienne primitivement de moi. Ainsi on veut par quelque coin se glorifier en soi-même. Où allez-vous, vaisseau fragile ? vous allez vous briser contre l'écueil, et vous priver du secours de Dieu qui n'aide que les humbles, et qui les fait humbles pour les aider. Connaissez-vous bien la chute de votre nature pécheresse ; et après même en avoir été relevé, l'extrême langueur, la profonde maladie qui vous en reste ? Dieu veut que vous lui disiez : « Guérissez-moi ; » car à tout moment je me meurs, etje ne puis rien sans vous. Dieu vont que vous lui demandiez toutes les bonnes actions que vous devez faire : quand vous les avez faites. Dieu veut que vous lui rendiez grâces de les avoir faites. Il ne veut pas pour cela que vous demeuriez sans action, sans effort-mais il veut qu'en vous efforçant comme si vous deviez agir tout seul, vous ne vous glorifiiez non plus en vous-même que si vous ne faisiez rien.

Here is another terrible trap for human pride.  A man  says in his heart: 'I have my free will; God has made me free, and I want to do the right thing; but I want that which decides my eternal salvation to come originally from me.'  And so, in this little way, the man seeks glory for himself.  But where are you going, you fragile vessel?  You are going to fall in a trap, smash yourself, and cut yourself off from the help of God Who gives his help only to the humble, and Who makes them humble in order to help them.  Do you fully understand the fall of your sinful nature; and even after having been raised up from it, the extreme languor, the deep sickness which still remains in you?  God wants you to say "Heal me;"[1] for at each moment I am dying, and I can do nothing without you.  God wants you to ask from the Him all the good things that you must do; and, when you have done them, God wants you to thank Him for having done them.  For all that, he doesn't want you to remain idle, making no effort yourself, but He does not want you to act as though you were all alone, and He doesn't want you to glorify yourself any more than He wants you to do nothing at all.

[1] Have mercy on me, O Lord, for I am weak: heal me, O Lord, for my bones are troubled. Miserere mei, Domine, quoniam infirmus sum; sana me, Domine, quoniam conturbata sunt ossa mea.[Psal. vi. 3.]

Je ne puis : je veux trouver quelque chose à quoi me prendre dans mon libre arbitre, que je ne puis accorder avec cet abandon à la grâce. Superbe contradicteur, voulez-vous accorder ces choses, ou bien croire que Dieu les accorde? Il les accorde tellement qu'il veut, sans vous relâcher de votre action, que vous lui attribuiez finalement tout l'ouvrage de votre salut : car il est le Sauveur ; et il dit : « Il n'y a point de Dieu qui sauve que moi (1). » Croyez bien que Jésus-Christ est Sauveur, et toutes les contradictions s'évanouiront.

I cannot do it: I want to find something in which I can make use of my own free will, but which I can reconcile with this abandonment to God's grace.  This is an artful contradiction, do you really want to reconcile these things, or to believe that God reconciles them?  He reconciles them in such a way that, without taking anything away from your own action, He wants you to attribute to Him, finally, the work of your salvation; for He is the Saviour, and He says: "there is no Saviour besides me." [1] Please believe that Jesus Christ is the Saviour and then all the apparent contradictions melt away.  

[1] I am, I am the Lord: and there is no saviour besides me. Ego sum, ego sum Dominus; et non est absque me salvator.[Isai. xliii. 11]


Totus tuus ego sum
Et omnia mea tua sunt;
Tecum semper tutus sum:
Ad Jesum per Mariam.

No comments:

Post a Comment