Wednesday 1 May 2024

The Triple Crown of the Blessed Virgin Mother of God


Notre Dame des Grâces, Cotignac.(Poggi, 2020)
When preparing to renew the consecration of my family to Jesus through the Immaculate Heart of Mary this year, I discovered the following paragraph in True Devotion to Mary by St Louis-Marie Grignion de Montfort (1712 )

[26] Si je parlais à des esprits forts de ce temps, je prouverais tout ce que je dis simplement, plus au long, par la Sainte Écriture, les Saints Pères, dont je rapporterais les passages latins, et par plusieurs solides raisons qu'on pourra voir au long déduites par le R.P. Poiré en sa Triple Couronne de la Sainte Vierge. [TC]
 
[26] If I were speaking to the free-thinkers of these times, I would prove what I have said in simple terms by going into greater detail, confirming it by Sacred Scripture and the Church Fathers, referring to original passages in Latin, and including the solid reasons which may be seen at length in Fr. Poiré's work The Triple Crown of the Blessed Virgin (1630).

 

Fr Poiré's work was unknown to me and I found it was first published in 1630 and then again in 1637 and 1643. I have not so far found any English translations but I have found a French edition online (based on the 1643 volume) which was published in 1845 with a preface by Dom Prosper Guéranger, Abbé de Solesmes.

I translated a series of excerpts from TC for the Marian consecration which took place on the feast of the Annunciation (8 April this year). Fr Poiré's work is so inspiring and thought-provoking that I determined to revisit it and present further translations. 

Image for May 2024. Golgotha Monastery, Papa Stronsay, Orkney
I have vivid memories from my childhood at school that May is the month traditionally associated with the Crowning of Mary. It seems altogether fitting at the start of May to offer my work on The Triple Crown as a present to Mary, our gentle Queen and Mother.

In turning a page on my Papa Stronsay calendar, I was struck by the "coincidence" that the image they selected for the month of May was just such a crowning of Mary. I pray this may be an auspicious sign for the commencement of this little work.

Please note that the translation makes no pretence of being to a professional standard but is a purely personal project which I pray may help to reveal the truth, beauty and goodness of the material contained in The Triple Crown.


👑       👑       👑


The Vladimirskaya Icon. >12th century.
S
UB
 tuum præsidium confugimus, Sancta Dei Genitrix. Nostras deprecationes ne despicias in necessitatibus, sed a periculis cunctis libera nos semper, Virgo gloriosa et benedicta. Amen.

 

 


Totus tuus ego sum
Et omnia mea tua sunt;
Tecum semper tutus sum:
Ad Jesum per Mariam. 


No comments:

Post a Comment