Monday 8 April 2024

The Feast of the Annunciation : Renewal of Consecration to Christ through Mary

The Annunciation.
On today's Feast of the Annunciation, we reach the end of our preparation for renewing personal consecration to Jesus Christ, Wisdom Incarnate, through the Blessed Virgin Mary. The inspiration for these consecrations, starting in 2019, has been the writings of Saint Louis-Marie Grignon de Montfort (1673-1716), in particular, his Traité de la vraie dévotion à la Sainte Vierge). The text he wrote for consecration may be found below.



👈The image is from the Llangattock Hours and is by Willem Vrelant (Flemish, died 1481, active 1454 - 1481). reproduced by courtesy of the Getty Centre (Los Angeles, USA).








As a gift to Our Blessed Mother on this great Feast, we offer firstly our compilation of commentaries on the Psalms of the Little Office:

Psalm 8        Psalm 18        Psalm 23        Psalm 44
Psalm 45      Psalm 53        Psalm 62        Psalm 84
Psalm 86      Psalm 92        Psalm 94        Psalm 95        
Psalm 96      Psalm 97        Psalm 99        Psalm 109
Psalm 112    Psalm 116      Psalm 119       Psalm 120
Psalm 121    Psalm 122     Psalm 123       Psalm 124
Psalm 125    Psalm 126     Psalm 127       Psalm 128
Psalm 129    Psalm 130     Psalm 147       Psalm 148



Secondly, we offer 33 reflections and prayers inspired by the beautifully tender icon: Our Lady of Vladimir. The icon image was blessed by Fr Andrew Southwell today in St Bede's Church, Clapham Park.

Thirdly, we offer commentaries by St Alphonsus on the Seven Sorrows of Mary.

Finally, we offer our translation of eight Glories of Mary as set forth in The Triple Crown of the Blessed Virgin Mother of God by Fr H Poiré (published in 1634).


Text for renewal of Consecration (including family members)

 

Completed in St Bede's Church, Clapham Park, on today's feast of the Annunciation.
 Laudetur Jesus Christus et Maria Immaculata!


Ô Sagesse éternelle et incarnée! Ô très aimable et adorable Jésus, vrai Dieu et vrai homme, Fils unique du Père Éternel et de Marietoujours Vierge! Je vous adore profondément dans le sein et les splendeurs de votre Père, pendant l’éternité, et dans le sein virginal de Marievotre digne Mère, dans le temps de votre incarnation.

O Eternal and incarnate Wisdom! O sweetest and most adorable Jesus! True God and true man, only Son of the Eternal Father, and of Mary, always virginI adore Thee profoundly in the bosom and splendours of Thy Father during eternity; and I adore Thee also in the virginal bosom of Mary, Thy most worthy Mother, in the time of Thine incarnation.

Je vous rends grâce de ce que vous vous êtes anéanti vous-même, en prenant la forme d’un esclave, pour me tirer du cruel esclavage du démon. Je vous loue et glorifie de ce que vous avez bien voulu vous soumettre à Marie votre sainte Mère, en toutes choses, afin de me rendre, par Elle, votre fidèle esclave.

I give Thee thanks for that Thou hast annihilated Thyself, taking the form of a slave in order to rescue me from the cruel slavery of the devil. I praise and glorify Thee for that Thou hast been pleased to submit Thyself to Mary, Thy holy Mother, in all things, in order to make me Thy faithful slave through her. 

Mais hélas! Ingrat et infidèle que je suis, je ne vous ai pas gardé les vœux et les promesses que je vous ai solennellement faits dans mon Baptême ; Je n’ai point rempli mes obligations ; Je ne mérite pas d’être appelé votre enfant ni votre esclave ; et comme il n’y a rien en moi qui ne mérite vos rebuts et votre colère, je n’ose plus par moi-même approcher de votre très sainte et auguste Majesté.

But, alas! Ungrateful and faithless as I have been, I have not kept the promises which I made so solemnly to Thee in my Baptism; I have not fulfilled my obligations; I do not deserve to be called Thy child, nor yet Thy slave; and as there is nothing in me which does not merit Thine anger and Thy repulse, I dare not come by myself before Thy most holy and august Majesty

C’est pourquoi j’ai recours à l’intercession [et à la miséricorde] de votre sainte Mère, que vous m’avez donnée pour Médiatrice auprès de vous ; et c’est par son moyen que j’espère obtenir de vous la contrition et le pardon de mes péchés, l’acquisition et la conservation de la Sagesse.

It is on this account that I have recourse to the intercession of Thy most holy Mother, whom Thou hast given me for a mediatrix with Thee. It is through her that I hope to obtain of Thee contrition, pardon for my sins, and the acquisition and preservation of wisdom.

Je vous salue donc, ô Marie immaculéetabernacle vivant de la divinité, où la Sagesse éternelle cachée veut être adorée des Anges et des hommes.

Je vous salue, ô Reine du ciel et de la terre, à l’empire de qui tout est soumis : tout ce qui est au-dessous de Dieu.

Je vous salue, ô Refuge assuré des pécheurs, dont la miséricorde n’a manqué à personne ; exaucez les désirs que j’ai de la divine Sagesse, et recevez pour cela les vœux et les offres que ma bassesse vous présente.

Hail, then, O immaculate Maryliving tabernacle of the Divinity, where the Eternal Wisdom willed to be hidden and to be adored by angels and by men! 

Hail, O Queen of Heaven and earth, to whose empire everything is subject which is under God. 

Hail, O sure refuge of sinners, whose mercy fails no one. Hear the desires which I have of the Divine Wisdom; and for that end receive the vows and offerings which in my lowliness I present to thee. 

Moi, N….............................., pécheur infidèle, je renouvelle et ratifie aujourd’hui entre vos mains les vœux de mon Baptême : ainsi que ceux de ma famille, ce que je fais pour eux: E, Em, K, P, T, Ed, & Es; El & Al; V & An.

Je renonce pour jamais à Satan, à ses pompes et à ses œuvres, et je me donne tout entier à Jésus-Christla Sagesse incarnée, pour porter ma croix à sa suite tous les jours de ma vie, et afin que je lui sois plus fidèle que je n’ai été jusqu’ici.

Je vous choisis aujourd’hui, en présence de toute la cour céleste, pour ma Mère et Maîtresse; je vous livre et consacre, en qualité d’esclave, mon corps et mon âme, mes biens intérieurs et extérieurs, et la valeur même de mes bonnes actions passées, présentes et futures, vous laissant un entier et plein droit de disposer de moi et de tout ce qui m’appartient, sans exception, selon votre bon plaisir, à la plus grande gloire de Dieu, dans le temps et l’éternité.

I, N_____, a faithless sinner, renew and ratify today in thy hands the vows of my Baptism; and I do this for those of my family, (E, Em, K, P, T, Ed, & Es; El & Al; V & An).  

I renounce forever Satan, his pomps and works; and I give myself entirely to Jesus Christ, the Incarnate Wisdom, to carry my cross after Him all the days of my life, and to be more faithful to Him than I have ever been before. 

In the presence of all the heavenly court I choose thee this day for my Mother and Mistress. I deliver and consecrate to thee, as thy slave, my body and soul, my goods, both interior and exterior, and even the value of all my good actions, past, present and future; leaving to thee the entire and full right of disposing of me, and all that belongs to me, without exception, according to thy good pleasure, for the greater glory of God in time and in eternity. 

Recevez, ô Vierge bénigne, cette petite offrande de mon esclavage, en l’honneur et union de la soumission que la Sagesse éternelle a bien voulu avoir de votre maternité, en hommage de la puissance que vous avez tous deux sur ce petit vermisseau et ce misérable pécheur ; en action de grâces des privilèges dont la sainte Trinité vous a favorisée.

Receive, O benignant Virgin, this little offering of my slavery, in honour of, and in union with, that subjection which the Eternal Wisdom deigned to have to thy maternity; in homage to the power which both of you have over this poor sinner, and in thanksgiving for the privileges with which the Holy Trinity has favoured thee.

Je proteste que je veux désormais, comme votre véritable esclave, chercher votre honneur et vous obéir en toutes choses.

I declare that I wish henceforth, as thy true slave, to seek thy honor and to obey thee in all things.

Ô Mère admirable, présentez-moi à votre cher Fils, en qualité d’esclave éternel, afin que, m’ayant racheté par vous, il me reçoive par vous.

Ô Mère de miséricorde, faites-moi la grâce d’obtenir la vraie Sagesse de Dieu, et de me mettre pour cela au nombre de ceux que vous aimez, que vous enseignez, que vous nourrissez et protégez comme vos enfants et vos esclaves. [Veuillez mettre à ce nombre les membres de ma famille: E, Em, K, P, T, Ed, & Es; El & Al; V & An]

Ô Vierge fidèle, rendez-moi en toutes choses un si parfait disciple, imitateur et esclave de la Sagesse incarnéeJésus-Christ votre Fils, que j’arrive, par votre intercession, et à votre exemple, à la plénitude de son âge sur la terre et de sa gloire dans les cieux.

Ainsi soit-il !

O admirable Mother, present me to thy dear Son as His eternal slave, so that as He has redeemed me by thee, by thee He may receive me! 

O Mother of mercy, grant me the grace to obtain the true Wisdom of God; and for that end receive me among those whom thou lovest and teachest, whom thou leadest, nourishest and protectest as thy children and thy slaves.[Please accept in this number the members of my family: E, Em, K, P, T, Ed, & Es; El & Al; V & An] 

O faithful Virgin, make me in all things so perfect a disciple, imitator and slave of the Incarnate Wisdom, Jesus Christ thy Son, that I may attain, by thine intercession and by thine example, to the fullness of His age on earth and of His glory in Heaven. 

Amen.

+        +        + 

Sancta Maria...


Ainsi soit-il, à tout ce que vous avez fait sur la terre, lorsque vous y viviez; 

Ainsi soit-il, à tout ce que vous faites à présent dans le ciel; 

Ainsi soit-il, à tout ce que vous faites en mon âme, afin qu’il n’y ait que vous à glorifier pleinement Jésus en moi pendant le temps et l’éternité.

Ainsi soit-il.

+       +        +

The Vladimirskaya Icon. >12th century.
S
UB
 tuum præsidium confugimus, Sancta Dei Genitrix. Nostras deprecationes ne despicias in necessitatibus, sed a periculis cunctis libera nos semper, Virgo gloriosa et benedicta. Amen.

 

 


Totus tuus ego sum
Et omnia mea tua sunt;
Tecum semper tutus sum:
Ad Jesum per Mariam. 

No comments:

Post a Comment